Cold days call for a good heating system. With central heating working up its magic to heat the whole house, what about the small corners and areas where central heating does not work efficiently? That is when the best space heater comes in handy.
A space heater, as the name implies, heats up a limited space in little time. It can help save energy and cost by using dedicated heat in a particular area. You don’t have to heat the whole house up just to feel cozy in the side dressing area or the attic. You can turn a space heater on in a room with closed doors, get ready and go out for work without having to turn the heating on for the whole home.
Space heaters come in handy outdoors as well. If you have a cold attic, a study room in the basement or a yard with no central heating system, you can use a space heater to get warm in a chilly morning within minutes.
Table of Contents
Best Space Heaters
Let’s move on to have a keen look at some of the best space heaters available on the web to complement your needs.
Pioneering our list of the best space heaters is this versatile model offered by Dyson. It will serve you cool and warm air as per your needs all year round. The beautiful oval fan heater throws air using a jet or a diffused mode.
The outer body remains cool to touch. No heating element is exposed so there is no burning smell or spinning blades. It has a safety shut off and tip-off button for added safety. It features a timer, quiet mode, a remote control, and energy-efficient heating. The small dimensions are easy to move and place.
- This heater is small with petite dimensions.
- The outer body of this forced fan heater is attractive and futuristic.
- Programmable features of this heater include quiet mode, timer, and energy saver mode.
- A remote control is also a part of the deal.
- Intelligent thermostat monitors the room to reach and maintain your selected temperature in heat mode so there is no wasted energy.
- Auto overheat shut off and the tip-off button adds safety to this heater
Optimus brings you this ceramic heating element based forced fan heater which is a runner up in our list of the best space heaters. The shape is built like a tower that features air oscillation all around. The petite size saves space while providing full functions. It allows programming the heat and thermostat with a button at the top. Overheat protection auto shut off and the tip-over switch allows safe use.
- The heater features a ceramic heating element with 1000 and 1500 watt heat settings.
- The thermostat control is digital which lets you read the current room temperature as well.
- The oscillation motion of this heater is motorized with a strong base.
- It includes safety shut off and tip over button.
- The seller offers a one-year limited warranty.
- Its capable of heating a 400 square feet room easily.
- A remote control is a part of the package.
Pelonis offers this ceramic fan heater in a tower shape to heat your space. This is the best space heater among the electric resistant radiant heater. It’s capable of heating up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in three seconds. The programmable thermostat allows you to configure multiple heating modes. ECO mode helps you save energy. The outer body is cool to touch and comes with a top over switch for safety.
- The Ceramic heating element is used along with a fan.
- Thermostat is programmable with three heating options.
- ECO mode can be configured to conserve energy.
- The outer body is cool to touch all the time.
- The timer can be configured up to 8 hours.
- Seller offers a one-year warranty.
- The fan produces lower noise as compared to other models with 50 dB working noise.
Crane brings you a great alternative to the regular fireplace. This space heater features forced fan heating along with a great fire display. Realistic embers cast and ambient glow that can be used even without heating.
This design is perfect for replacing the old dusty chimneys, you can set it in the fire niche and enjoy the electronically powered fan heater with a great view. It offers three configurable settings with the ceramic heating element.
- Great view of realistic fire embers.
- Three configurable heat settings.
- Forced fan heater uses ceramic heat elements to heat the area efficiently.
- The outer body is cool to touch with safe heat settings.
- The size is portable and easy to turn on with just a plugin.
DeLonghi brings you a convective heater that works by heating the oil inside the heater and radiates that heat. It uses a 6 feet long power cord that is suitable to heat up to 144 square ft. area. The mechanism is very quiet and the heating is comparatively faster than other radiators. This radiator has up to 40% more heat surface with a patented thermal chimney engineered to maximize heat flow. It comes with a 24-hour timer and an adjustable thermostat to control the heat modes.
- The radiator uses convection as well as radiation to heat up faster.
- The outer body is made with patented steel which hosts sealed oil.
- The patented chimney allows up to 40 percent more heat dissipation.
- The timer is adjustable up to 24 hours.
- The thermostat allows you to customize heat settings.
This boxed shape heater is offered by Dr. Infrared Heater with the wooden outer shell. The classical design makes it blend well with the surrounding furniture. It uses infrared heat to warm the objects in the room. It can heat up a larger room with auto energy-saving mode. The dual heating system features infrared quartz tube and PTC. It comes with a 12-hour automatic shut off safety feature with overheat protection.
- It comes with a 12-hour automatic shut off feature for safety.
- IR remote control comes along the heater for better control.
- High-pressure low noise blower is very quiet at 39 dB.
- Electronic thermostat ranges from 50 to 86 degrees.
- It comes with caster wheels and lifetime filters.
- Portable with a 24-pound weight.
- It consumes up to 1500 watts and 12.5 amps of power.
Types of Space Heater:
With the proven efficiency of a space heater to heat an area, we should know what types are available in the market to suit your needs;
1. Convection Heater:
The best space heater when it comes to making minimum noise and gradual heating is a convection heater. These space heaters use convection to radiate the heat. They are filled with a heat transfer filler that heats up using an energy resource and dissipates heat slowly.
The filler could be oil or water and the energy source could be electricity or gas. These are suitable for bedrooms and offices since they work silently without great airflow as in a forced fan heater. However, the outer surface is hot to touch and requires care around pets and children.
2. Ceramic Forced Fan heaters:
These space heaters use electricity to heat a ceramic heat element. A fan then disperses the heat with great airflow. These space heaters are a popular choice for heating rooms quickly. You can instantly feel warm air coming out of it. Modern varieties offer a number of features including oscillation, timer, digital thermostats, multiple programmable settings, etc.
3. Radiant and Infrared Heater:
This type of heater works by heating objects in a location rather than circulating warm air. Contrasting to a fan heater, they can work up to heat a 1000 sq ft. area without making any noise. They use a heating element to heat via electricity and heat the area slowly. It works efficiently with better insulation in the room.
4. Micathermic Panel Heaters:
These space heaters use hybrid technology to circulate heat around the room. They release 80% convection heat and 20% direct radiant heat. These lightweight models are easy to mount on walls. They work silently and don’t use any light to emit heat. The outer body is hot to touch.
Tips and Tricks of Buying the Best Space Heater:
Now that we know the types and models of the best space heaters available in the market, let’s take a quick look at the aspects to look for while making a purchase.
1. Type of Heater:
We have observed the different types of heaters available to serve the best. While making the final purchase, you need to consider the type that best suits you need. Take the room or area of use into consideration and then make a perfect choice.
2. Heating capacity:
Every space heater features its heating capacity in terms of wattage or BTU. As a general rule of thumb, 10 watt of heat is enough to heat up one square foot area. This rule might vary depending on the type of heating mechanism. However, always take into account the workability and capacity of the best space heater.
3. Energy efficiency:
Though a space heater lacks the standard level of efficiency like the EER ratings for an air conditioner, modern space heaters come with many modes of conserving energy. To cut the cost of usage, look for a space heater with ECO mode, timer, programmable option, and energy-efficient power cords. Choose the right size and capacity for the required area. you can always switch between high or low power mode for energy conservation.
4. Safety Features:
Space heaters are notorious for poor usage in the US. Though the safety hazards of a space heater are far less than the regular fireplace, you still need to be careful around them. Some of the best space heaters come with an overheat shut off button, tip-off button, and programmable low energy modes to provide safety. Do look for maximum safety features especially with kids and pets around.
If you are easily annoyed by loud noises made by a fan heater, a radiator or infrared heater might suit you best. However, modern space heaters come with minimal noise and decreased use of metal body reduce the clatter.
Our handy guide of the best space heaters available in the market and the tip and trick on how to buy the most efficient one will certainly help you make the best choice tailored to your needs.