An outdoor tankless water heater is a small unit that heats the water running in the pipes. You don’t need to install a hefty tank with it since its capable of heating the water in mainstream.
An outdoor unit is ideal for heaters that work with gas. You don’t need to worry about the ventilation and gas dispersion since the air outdoors works for better ventilation itself. As compared to an indoor tankless water heater, this outdoor unit saves you space. You don’t have to allocate a space niche for a heating unit. You can easily mount the unit on the outside walls with the main water pipes without having to reconstruct any wall.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Installing an Outdoor Tankless Water Heater:
- An outdoor tank does not require installation of venting kits. The extra gas is dispersed itself in the air providing safety.
- Since installation of venting kits indoors is going to cost you much, you don’t have to worry about the ventilation cost of an outdoor tankless water heater.
- An outdoor unit does not require any extra construction for assembly. You can simply mount in on the outer walls to connect it with the pipes.
Having known the benefits, lets have a look at some great outdoor tankless units available in the market and then we will review what to look for in an ideal outdoor unit.
Best Outdoor Tankless Water Heater
Highly sought after brand in the heating department is Rinnai which brings its V series heating tanks in multiple capacities. This particular model is V65ep which uses propane gas to heat the water. It has a great capacity of 6.5 gallons per minute however, other models offer a higher GPM too.
You can even have remote access to all its functions through a mobile app. You can put it into vacation mode in case you forget to turn it off while leaving in haste. The seller offers a residential factory warranty of 120 months for heat exchanger, 12 months for labor and 60 months for parts.
- It requires outdoor installation only.
- The tank is capable of heating upto 6.5 GPM.
- Rinnai tankless water heaters with ThermaCirc360 technology recirculates hot water through your pipes to get you hot water fast.
- You can save 16 sq. foot of space ─ the Rinnai tankless water heater is only the size of a small suitcase
- Rinnai units are capable of using 40% less energy than competitors.
- Average life expectancy is 20 years.
Next this is an option provided by a well reputed seller Rheem. This tankless outdoor unit works on natural gas resources. It has a capacity of 9.5 gallons per minute which is enough for two to three persons sharing a home. However, the 9.5 GPM applies for a 35 degree rise. In case of temperature dropping low, it will provide you about 7.4 GPM.
- It provides a UMC-117 remote control and 10 feet of thermostat wire.
- It weighs about 54 pounds.
- The dimensions for the unit are 14x10x26 inches.
- Capacity of this heater is 9.5 gpm.
- Energy resource is natural gas.
- Its environmentally friendly with a low NOx burner.
- It provides hot water fast at 140 degree Fahrenheit being maximum.
Takagi is another brand offering a great option for outdoor tankless water heater. This model T-K4-OS-NG will require natural gas as an energy resource. With a capacity of 8 GPM for 190,000 BTU its cost efficient. Two additional features that it boasts are; its built in freeze protection and better ventilation system. It will save you the fuss of pipes being frozen due to major drop in temperature even if it is outdoors. Secondly it has a better mechanism of venting out excess gas than its competitors.
- The offered capacity is 8 GPM.
- Better ventilation mechanism.
- Built in free protection
- Energy Star qualified
- Energy efficient.
Rinnai brings you another great option powered by natural gas. This model RL94eN provides a capacity of 9.4 GPM. It requires an outdoor installation only with no retouch required in the indoor pipelines. Circ-Logic technology allows you to set recirculation patterns that coincide with your typical habits. Hot water is available when you need it.
- Rinnai offers a factory warranty of 120 months for heat exchanger, 60 months parts and 12 months labor.
- Provided capacity is 9.4 GPM which is subjective to groundwater temperature.
- The installation is relatively easy.
Presenting you an electric tankless outdoor water heater by iHeat. Electric units are relatively less available in the market. You have the option to choose from 9,12,14 and 16 kilowatt capacities. The water capacity is lower at 3.5 GPM as compared to the propane ones. The outer body is made of stainless steel, which is ideal for highly sterile places like hospitals or any applications near the ocean. The size is quite compact and the body is water proof. It helps you save upto 60 per cent on water heating cost.
- The offered dimensions are 11.5x9x4.5 inches.
- The provided energy resource is electricity.
- This tankless water heater will save upto 60 % water heating cost.
- The water capacity provided is 3.5 gallons per minute.
Ecosmart brings you this electric water heater that is tankless. It is offered at 18 kilowatt and 240 volts. The model is self modulating with an automated thermostat. This feature saves up to 60% on your water heating cost. It’s a compact design that saves up to 12 cubic feet of storage. It has an attractive body and digital temperature control that provides control over even a single degree of temperature.
- The product is manufactured in China.
- Its energy efficient.
- The installation is relatively simple.
- Can heat upto two sinks and two showers instantly in summers and one shower and sink in winters.
- When sized correctly your tankless water heater will provide you with endless on demand hot water. It heats water as it passes through the unit, instead of storing hot water like a tank type water heater.
- EcoSmart tankless water heaters only turn on when you need hot water – plus they cut down on heat loss, saving you up to 50% in water heating costs.
What To Look For in The Best Outdoor Tankless Water Heater?
Let’s have a quick look at what we should keep in mind while looking for the best outdoor tankless water heater.
A flow rate tells how much water is being heated at once. A larger family requires a larger flow rate to accommodate warm water for everyone. Its measured in GPM- Gallons per Minute. A shower usually requires 2 to 2.5 gpm so you need to buy a heating unit that provides ample gpm for your family members.
How much can it heat:
You need to know how much heat output a heater gives. It is measured in British thermal units BTU. 1 BTU is enough to raise 1 lb of water by 1 degree. To get a comfortable shower most people prefer it to be at least 90 degrees. So choose the provided BTU according to your location and shower preference.
Two main energy resources are used to light up water heaters: propane or gas and electricity. In general electric heaters are more energy efficient than propane ones. However, in colder weather, most electric units lose their efficiency while propane continues its work as it did in any other weather. In the short term propane is slightly cheaper than electricity.
Though a tankless water heater occupies less space than a tank one but you need to follow the sizing guidelines especially if you live in an apartment. There should be ample safe space available around the heating tank for gas to dissipate. You need to take into account the available space where the unit is supposed to be mounted.